- Have you used SSIS in a project/product type of environment as opposed to an operational/once-off type of an environment?
- Have you worked with a hierachical/modular type of SSIS project with packages calling other packages? If so, did you pass values back and forth between the packages and if so, how?
- Have you dealt with package versioning and if so, how?
- Have you used any of the package configuration functionality within SSIS? If so, which types and for what types of values?
- Have you used any kind of restart mechanisms in SSIS? If so, which one(s)?
- Have you developed packages that could be migrated from one environment to another without any code changes (directory locations, database connections, etc.)? If so, how?
- Which data flow transformations have you used?
- Are you familiar with dimensional/star-schema modeling and concepts such as junk dimensions and slowly changing dimensions?
- Have you used the Slowly Changing Dimension transformation? If so, what if any issues did you encounter while using it?
- What kind of logging have you used with SSIS, if any?
- Have you used package event handlers for any kind of processing logic?
- What types of debugging tools/methods have you used with SSIS?
- Have you used script components and if so, what language are you most comfortable with?
- Where have you stored/deployed your production SSIS packages (file system or msdb)? What is your preference and why?
Monday, March 28, 2011
SSIS Interview Questions
Below are some questions I recently asked while interviewing for an SSIS developer. Thought they might be helpful to others looking to hire. Answers to follow . . .