Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Linked Server NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON Error - SPN Issue

I was recently struggling with a couple of linked servers. Every time I tried testing them or running a query that referenced the linked server I received the following error:
       Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON
The environment I was operating in had an overly complex network configuration that I won't begin to attempt to describe. Anyhow, I was convinced that this had something to do with Kerberos authentication. It turns out it does although not the way I had originally thought.


The SQL Server had recently been migrated to a new domain. In the process, an SPN (Service Principal Name) had not been modified accordingly. By using setspn -L servername I was able to see that the SPN referenced the old domain name.

To resolve the problem the SPN was deleted using setspn -D.

No comments:

Post a Comment